SPRITES: Instilling Values & Giving Back

Squeaky, Bubbles, Care Bear, Freckles and Stretch

Established in 1969, SPRITES (Spiritual, Philanthropic, Recreational, Inspirational, Training, Educational, Social) of East County is a mother-daughter philanthropic organization dedicated to benefitting local charities by giving their time and financial resources for the betterment of the community.  Each year, SPRITES raise funds that directly support their 25 adopted philanthropies as well as contribute more than 7,000 hours in service.  The group’s mission is to instill the value of life-long volunteering in the community, while building strong relationships with others. Girls in grades 7-12 apply for membership and are approved by the membership committee AKA the mothers.  Others, like my sister and I, had mothers, aunts, cousins, and grandmothers in SPRITES, allowing us to automatically enter due to legacy.  But no matter how one gets in, or whether they are a first generation or 3rd, SPRITES becomes your family, teaching life lessons, preparing, sculpting and helping young girls bloom into young ladies, all with a focus on serving others.

SPRITES has given me many things, life-long friends, time with my mom, stage presence, a love for non-profits, but the best thing I ever got from SPRITES was the chance to volunteer at Camp Reach for the Sky AKA CR4TS. Though I thoroughly enjoyed community service to other organizations, CR4TS has made a deep and lasting impression. And I am not the only one who agrees.

“SPRITES was integral in helping me develop the understanding I now have of my role in the community and how much I can do to make a difference,” said Amy Woods AKA Stretch. “But Day Camp has literally reshaped my life.  It solidified my decision to become a doctor, and pointed me toward the path of pediatric oncology; I would love nothing more than to be a compassionate presence in the treatment of children like the ones that have left a mark on my heart.”

In SPRITES, each grade level has their own philanthropic organizations they can choose from in order to reach the minimum number of service hours required. There are also All-SPRITES non-profits, which are available for any grade level. CR4TS is one of those. However, like other All-SPRITES organizations, it also has an age requirement, making it a rather popular and competitive service to volunteer for.  I remember being in 7th grade, just starting my journey in SPRITES, and excitedly waiting for my chance to do Camp, along with many others.  And finally, at 16, I was able to fill out the application, knowing that only a small number of volunteers are accepted.  Nervously, I went to my interview and successfully I was approved for duty.  I was thrilled.  And that summer of 2004, my addiction to community service blossomed, all due to 50 amazing kids and 6 days of camp.

I am now 5 years out of SPRITES and going into my 8th year with CR4TS.  Think it made an impression? I could not, cannot and will not picture my life without Camp.

Meet Bubbles. For one week out of the year she appears.  She wears funny outfits, sings silly songs, is hardly without face paint or a smile and participates in an epic Marshmallow battle.  Kids look forward to seeing her each year, and so do I. Though, I guess, I am technically never without her.  Meet Care Bear, Digger, Yams or Freckles.  Other SPRITES alumni also faithful to CR4TS and the kids we entertain, or rather, who entertain us.

“At the end of every week of Day Camp, we are asked what the best part of the week was, what really stood out…and the answer is always the kids,” remarked Kelsee Buskirk AKA Care Bear.

The thing SPRITES really does, is introduce teens to physical community service.  After many years and hours of volunteering, the one thing that constantly comes up with all non-profits is human interaction.  Yes, money is important and necessary for these organizations to survive, but the people, the kids, cancer patients, elderly, mentally and physically handicap, are the ones that really matter, are the ones the organization was made for. They don’t see the checks written or funds raised.  They see, and remember, the kind smiles, laughter and hugs.  The fact that someone was there is what makes their day a good one.

“I look back and try to imagine my youth without SPRITES, and I know I would have been a completely different person.  I have values and goals that I do not think would have been instilled in me without this organization,” said Allison Stroh AKA Squeaky.  “I recently got my EMT certification, and on a ride along I ran into a little boy and girl from camp.  They ran up to me yelling, ‘Squeaky!’ That moment touched me in ways I cannot begin to describe. Assisting others in need in your community allows you to become a light in dark places, yet the kids at CR4TS have been just that for me.”

And SPRITES makes sure that that happens.

Comments