You know it comes around every mid July...

Flame and Shaggy

You’d think Camp Reach for the Sky was the sun the way my summer (and year for that matter) revolves around it. Whether I’m in a day camp program meeting, writing the next CR4TS Anthem, or in the gym training for the marshmallow battle, I got my mind on camp, and camp on my mind. Do I rep my Camp Reach for the Sky t-shirt in public on a regular basis? Absolutely. Am I occasionally “that guy” teaching people the jelly fish song at parties? Yes sir. And you know what? I’m proud of it. I had a girl (this is a completely true story) ask me “So what is Camp Reach for the Sky? Do you guys like, do exercises that you reach up high?” Needless to say I no longer associate myself with her. Regardless, I’m stoked about camp. Throughout the year, I talk about it, and when it approaches, I find myself more excited about camp than summer itself. I have even realized that my school notes are merely small amounts of information, scattered in a sea of doodles and potential verses for the next camp track (which I promise will be substantially more epic than last year’s).

When I look back at the summer before my freshman year of high school, I was pretty lame. I was skinny, awkward, and traveling into the depths of Hillcrest to participate in something much bigger than myself. I didn’t know what to expect from camp, but from day one I loved it. And that first year started the flame (pun totally intended) that I’m fairly positive will never go out. The fact that I have continuously been able to become more involved with the camp has been the best part for me. As a college student, consistency is rare, but being able to count on some things helps me stay sane. For instance, the Padres and Chargers continuing to disappoint me, the individuals on Jersey Shore being classy, and Camp Reach for the Sky being the highlight of each and every summer, are about the only things I can count on these days. But I’m cool with that. CR4TS
                                                                                    -Flame

Camp Makes a Difference

Comments