Please allow me to introduce...

Stretch 

Looking forward to her benchmark 5th year this summer, Stretch, a Day camp counselor, “can’t wait to see how much my campers from last year have grown!” 

Which, as every counselor knows, is a crazy, shock-filled moment of awe as you stare in disbelief as your 5 year old doesn’t once grab their siblings hand, as your 7 year old comes back with a head full of hair, as your 13 year old is the one leading songs, as your 18 year old is graduating. And cue tears. 

“Day Camp is the best week of my year; I always look forward to the smiling faces and silly antics of my campers.  The kids that I have met at camp have truly inspired me, and I love having the opportunity to give a little back to them every year.” 

And for Stretch, that is saying something. As a pre-med student, on the verge of medical school, giving back to camp in any way is a sacrifice of her time, but even more so when she gets to attend. Like the difference camp makes for these campers, the same is absolutely true for the counselors; shifting reality around to make room for one week of Camp (or three), as life would not, could not, is not possible without it. 

And what makes camp so important? So special? Exhibit A… 

“My favorite memories from camp are the times that sweet campers sit in my lap and snuggle up to watch a show or sing songs. The camper changes every year, but those are always the best memories I take away from the week.” 

Exhibit B… 

“I am a big fan of the marshmallow war, there’s nothing like being viciously attacked by small children.” 

Exhibit C… 

“I’ll never forget when a certain small camper wore a giant Darth Vader helmet (about half as big as he was) to camp and was so top heavy that he could barely stand up! Best costume ever.” 

All this snuggling, battling and watching adorable children at play takes some preparation, and Stretch does so by “singing camp songs (her fav: Tarzan of the Apes) for a solid week while I prepare my costumes and anticipate which kids will be in my tent.” 

And as preparation is needed to enter the week of Camp, so it is needed to exit from it. 

”I usually enter a post-camp depression during which I look at pictures from the week and think about how time went by way too fast. I drive my friends and family crazy by telling them a million camp stories, and I put all my crazy clothes back in boxes. After the weekend is over, however, I snap out of it and start counting down to next summer!”


Camp Makes a Difference

Comments