Please allow me to introduce...

SAMI

My name is Sami, I go by Sami, and I am here to tell you, how to do the CR4TS!

Sami and her son Zach
Allow me to introduce one of our more famous CR4TS staff members. Baking cookies since 2003, Sami celebrates her 10th year as a counselor at Camp this summer. And her 6th year being a part of the trifecta club (counselors who do all three camps in one season) and one of three to also volunteer at our sister camp, Camp Reach for the STARS.  If you haven't met this woman yet, you are certainly missing out.

"I return to camp each year because it is such a big part of my summer.  These kids have forever touched my life and I truly believe make me a better person. I am looking forward to the same thing I look forward to every year, seeing how the kids have grown and getting a chance to spend a week in their company."

On a personal note, Sami has been a huge impact on my own Camp experience and has influenced the importance of Camp and these kids in my life, as well as the American Cancer Society as a whole. Like I said, this is one person everybody should make time to meet. And I am certainly not alone in feeling this way.

With three weeks of camp, campers and camping-like activities constantly revolving in her life, I was sure my questions were a bit difficult to answer, as each camp is so unique and different from the others. But, as usual, Sami knew exactly what to say.

Favorite Camp Activity: "I would have to say is the talent show followed closely by the Food Wheel."
Favorite Camp Song: "Hump de Dum (is that right?) No one ever gets the rhythm right and are always off. I crack up every time!"
Favorite Camp Costume: "That is another hard one.  I think I would say Bob dressed as the Lion from Wizard of Oz."
Favorite Camp Memory: "I don't know if I could come up with a favorite camp memory, I have so very many after so many years.  One very close to my heart is when Max was still going through treatment, but wanted to still take part in the activities. He would have me hold his feeding pouch so he could be mobile."

And cue tears. Something Sami is well known for doing. Unintentionally of course.

After nearly 10 years of reaching for the sky, Sami has entering and leaving the Camp world down to a science. "I prepare for camp by....well, baking lots and lots of cookies for all three training days." And thank goodness she does, because us counselors would not have the energy to get through the week without first gorging on her delicious treats.


Sami's "Heaven Cookies"
choc, choc chip cookie with BACON...


"I re-enter reality after my weeks at camp by first, sleeping a lot, and then, by singing camp songs with my two grandsons, and lastly, by telling all the cute camp stories that I have."

And pretty soon, 11 months go by and it all begins again!  And newbie staff are becoming veterans, counselors are becoming Camp Directors, and Day campers are graduating from Camp!

Kern's Camp Krew RFL


Sami did have one specific request that I would love to share. "Could you add in there that one thing I have been thinking about with camp is that the girls I had my first year (and their first year!) will be graduating this camp season!"  Shout out to Nat, Kat, Sierra and Chelsea, with all her love, from Sami.

Camp Makes a Difference....

Comments