8 Years and Counting…

I began my journey with CR4TS in 2003 at the age of 16.  8 years ago.  My how time flies. I still remember picking out my camp name, Bubbles, a name I can’t ever disassociate from myself, my inner being, who I have come to be.  Nor do I want to. Day Camp to me is life. It is my life, a part of who I am, what I believe in, what I live for. It is the campers’ life. Every single day of the year they look forward to camp, and when camp is done, when those 7 days have flown by, they start getting ready for the next year.  Even the little 3 year olds, my 3 year olds as I call them since that has been my tent for the past 5 years, remember day camp activities, bathroom buddies and pancake breakfast.  It simply astounds me the impact Day Camp has made on me as a person, my perspective on situations and life as a whole, and my spirit. And by Day Camp, of course I mean the campers. How is it possible these mere children have gone through such terrifying and painful experiences and still can laugh?  They play and smile and talk about cancer in a way that empowers me to the very core of my soul.  I am so honored to be around them if only for one week out of the year. It only makes those moments, and Camp, that much more special. 



Now as I head into 23, with year 8 coming in 6 months, I am reminded just how important and necessary CR4TS is for me.  Because of Day Camp, and ACS, I want to work in the non-profit field.  Because of Day Camp, I want to educate people on the magnitude of cancer and its affects on families.  Because of Day Camp, I want to live each day with positivity and enduring strength. I know that I volunteer at Camp for the kids, for their smiles and camp songs, but I am also starting to realize how much I do this for myself.

Camp Makes a Difference

Comments