Some Sisters Shop, Me and Mine CR4TS!

One of the things I am most proud of and happy about is mine and my sister’s shared love for all things CR4TS.  After my first year at Day Camp, my younger sister couldn’t wait to turn 16 in order to join in on the fun.  And I couldn’t wait to share it with her! When that day finally came, I think I was more excited than she was, so thrilled that she was meeting my Day Camp family and beginning to understand the depths to which CR4TS impacts you.  Every summer we planned out our outfits, talked about which campers we had, what siblings looked the most alike, our favorite activities, among many other topics of conversation, for CR4TS is a never-ending discussion.  I began to cherish this one week we were guaranteed to be together, making a difference for others and in ourselves.  I didn’t just want to be a role-model for my tent, or the entire camp, I worked my hardest in order to be an example for my little sis.

We have always been really close and have many times had people comment on our relationship. But for me, the one thing that really sticks out as a bonding moment for us sisters, is the last day of our first SIBS camp.  What an amazing, exhausting, gratifying, learning, eye-opening experience that was! And to be able to share that with my bestest friend is worth more than its weight in gold, or diamonds, or oil. The whole week will always be a memory to share but the last day, the last few hours, sitting in Gordon and Lori’s, with my sister on my right, reading what the camper’s had written, expressed and shared, was something I will never ever forget. One thought was read and it spoke of someone losing their younger sister, and never having the chance to just drive them around and have them think that their older sister is cool; I completely broke down (not like I hadn’t been crying before) and realized how precious this person to my right was, how important and necessary and absolutely indispensable she was and is to me. In no other place in the world, at any other camp or room would I have come to that same conclusion with such profound and heart-wrenching emotion.  Flashbacks of me in the front seat and my sister in the passenger going to Target with the music blaring and windows down continued on repeat as I thought about the enormity of that honest yet simple statement.  Only at Camp.


My sister and I have shared a room.  We share shoes and clothes and talk about boys.  Yet we share something more, bigger, and longer lasting.  CR4TS.


Camp Makes a Difference

Comments