Go! Get to the Chopper!!!




And here it is- the much awaited and anticipated second part in our three part Flashlight series on the people who spend all year making camp so amazing: the directors.

Now put your hands together for the Director of the 2011 Resident Oncology Camp: Brian Bonert aka Chopper.

In Chopper’s eleven years at camp he has done it all: boy’s counselor, programs staff, Head Boy’s counselor and now: Camp Director. But Chopper is more than just about camp. His favorite cereal is frosted flakes, he likes watching college basketball, considers Chris Farley a genius and absolutely loves riding motorcycles, especially Harley Davidsons- thus his nickname: Chopper. But enough of my rambling, let’s get to the man of the hour: Chopper!

Flashlight: Chopper, why did you want to get involved in camp?

Chopper: I had heard about camp from a couple friends who had been involved but never really thought to step up.  Then when my co-worker Gabby, who was the head boys counselor at the time, asked me to consider being a boys counselor I figured what the heck.  I’m so glad he asked.

F: Where are you from originally?

C: I was born and raised in a pretty small town in Iowa.  We had one stoplight, one fast food restaurant, and no movie theaters!  Our claim to fame was that the movie “The Field of Dreams” was filmed in our little town.  I guess they knew were to come to find a cornfield!

F: How tall are you?
C: I am 6’ 2” tall.  Although the older I get the shorter I feel!
F: What actor or actress would play you in the movie of your life?

C: Great question.  I did one of those “Which Celebrity do I look Like” quizzes and it gave me Al Gore, Donald Trump and retired pro wrestler Mick Foley!  I sure hope not!
I would like to say some hunky dude like Matthew McConaughey or George Clooney but it would probably be someone closer to Zach Galifianakis or Alec Baldwin

F: What is your favorite and/or silliest camp memory?

C: There are so many favorite memories but one of the best (and worst) was my very first year as a counselor.  I had two boys in the cabin that really wanted to go canoeing but did NOT want to get wet.   Also, neither of these campers wanted to sit in the back of the canoe.  So picture two little eight year olds in the front of a canoe weighing about 50 pounds each and ME (a rather big man) sitting in the back.  The image in your head should be one of a canoe doing a wheelie around the lake.  As if that wasn’t funny enough when the other canoes started playing “get the worm” which was basically a keep away game using a floatie noodle, my boys decided they should play too, but that they STILL didn’t want to get wet.  Needless to say when the two boys reached for the worm at the same time the canoe flipped and we all ended up in a very green, very slimy, very muddy lake.  I was able to pick each camper up and give them to a nearby canoe but I got to swim back to the dock dragging our capsized boat.  Those clothes went straight to the trash!

F: Speaking of favorites, how do you feel about the universal theme: favorites?

C: I think the idea of a universal theme is a great idea and is worth trying.  I’m sure that all three camps will implement things in their own unique ways.  As for the theme we’ve chosen I think it’s a great theme.  Every one of us can come up with our favorite things.  It’s the first theme in a long time where I know what I want to represent on each and every day.  It should be very fun!

F: To get us all prepped for a week of favorites, What’s your favorite camp food?

C: It’s not from the YMCA kitchen… but the KOA breakfast has to be my favorite.  The fresh pancakes and sausage are the bomb.

F: What’s your favorite color?

C:I never really thought I had a favorite color so I looked in my closet and couldn’t believe how many Grey and Brown clothes I have!  And my Harley and car are Grey, and my truck is Brown…  I guess it must be one of those two so I’ll go with Grey.  Does that say something about me?

F: No comment. But I do have a few more questions. What are you most excited about in your first year as camp director?

C: I’m very excited to find out what it will be like to be the Director.  Having been on the counselor side of things for so many years when I made the move to leadership I was very surprised at the amount of pre-camp work that had to be done.  I’m excited to be the lead person behind the scenes, making sure things goes smoothly.  I’m a very analytical and process sort of person and I want to make sure we have all the plans in place and the support needed to have a successful camp.


F: And last but certainly not least, what are you most looking forward to at camp this year?

C: It’s cheesy but honestly it’s seeing everyone again. Even if it’s only one week out of the year, I truly love seeing old friends on the staff, and seeing the kids grow up.  Since this is my 11th year, many of my 8-9 year old campers from the past are now starting to graduate.  It makes me feel great that I’ve been able to spend so much camp time with them over the years and hope this year is just as great.

And that concludes our interview today. I hope you got to know your CR4TS 2011 Resident Oncology Camp Director just a little bit better today. I know I sure did. Now get packing all of you campers! We have camp in 2 days! But don’t forget to take the time to say thank you to Chopper and all the rest of the CR4TS staff for helping make CR4TS YOUR favorite!

-Victoria “Vicks Vapo” Valencia
Lead Reporter and Investigative Journalist

Camp Makes a Difference

Comments