Hugs and Kissy's



With two camps down in this 2011 CR4TS camping season, only one remains: Day Camp. And with Day Camp comes the last but certainly not least of our CR4TS Flashlights on the camp directors.

So please turn your attention to the one, the only Kristen Dennis aka Kissy!

Kristen is a lot of things: a volunteer, a lover of the color blue and the Breakfast Club (at least when she was growing up), a 5’6” tall woman with a really awesome nickname. And while those things may describe Kissy, it is only in interacting with her that get the “true” Kissy (come on CR4TS family, you know where this is going…)

Flashlight: How long have you been involved in camp?

Kissy: This will be my 5th year at Day Camp.


F: Why did you want to get involved in camp?

K: I was looking for volunteer opportunities and this seemed like the perfect fit for me. Four out of six people in my family have had cancer and I know how it affects everyone in the family. I also really love kids! 


F: You have a unique camp name; please tell us how you got it.

K: My camp name “Kissy” came from one of my nephews. When he started talking he couldn’t say Aunt Kristen and called me Aunt Kissy. The name stuck and he still calls me this.

F: What are some of your previous camp roles?

K: I have been a counselor, Assistant Program Director, and Assistant Camp Director. This will be my second year as Camp Director.

F: What is your favorite and/or silliest camp memory?

K: I don’t know if I can pick just one! I love watching the kids in the marshmallow battle. Their faces are priceless. I also really enjoy the sleepover and getting to spend the extra time with a small group. The kids and amazing staff make so many great memories and lots of laughs!

F: How do you feel about the universal camp theme this year?

K: Love it! We are already thinking of lots of great activities for the theme days.

F: We can’t wait! In order to tide us over, let’s hear some of your favorites. What’s your favorite camp food?

K: I think the mac and cheese won for me last year.

F: What’s your favorite breakfast cereal?

K: I don’t usually eat breakfast, but coffee is a must.

F: What’s your least favorite sport and why? 

K: I don’t really play any sports, but baseball is my least favorite to watch. Sorry Yoda!

F: Don’t worry, you’re not alone there Kissy. It seems the directors this year aren’t really fans of baseball. Perhaps that should be part of the application process for your successors… Just kidding! But back to you: What are you most looking forward to at camp this year?

K: The kids of course, and seeing all of the staff too.

F: Alright, enough about camp, now we have some fun, random questions for you. If you could live anywhere in the world, other than camp, where would it be and why?

K: I think I would stay right here in San Diego. It’s beautiful, I have great family and friends here, and there is so much to do.

F: Where are you from originally?

K: I grew up in Arcadia, California. I moved to San Diego after high school and attended SDSU. I love San Diego and never left.

F: And for one of my favorite questions: What actor or actress would play you in the movie of your life?

K: That’s a tough one. Maybe Sandra Bullock? I’ve been told I share certain characteristics with her character in Miss. Congeniality. I would never win a beauty pageant!

F: And to conclude this interview, there is one final question. Can you hint at any surprises or awesome new additions to camp this year?

K: I wouldn’t want to give anything away!

Well it looks like Kissy’s lips are sealed on the matter. So that will have to be the end of it. And with Day Camp starting in less than a week, soon we will be at the end of the 2011 CR4TS camping season as well. But I’m sure you’ve all had some great memories, awesome laughs and lots of love- I know I have. And for all of you Day Campers who have yet to experience CR4TS this year, get ready for an awesome, dare I say your FAVORITE week of camp yet.
But before we truly end this interview I would be remiss if I did not say thank you to Kissy, Chopper and Tuna for putting up with my endless questions and for working all year long to make camp the amazing home away from home that it is!
And with that my CR4TS family I bid you adieu- until next time.


-Victoria “Vicks Vapo” Valencia
Lead Reporter and Investigative Journalist


Camp Makes a Difference...

Comments