Introducing!!!



Echo, echo, echo

“CR4TS has changed my life dramatically and I plan to keep coming back; I can't imagine my life without it!” 

There have been no truer words spoken, whether concerning camp or anything else. These came from the mind and heart of Echo, a 5 year Siblings Camp vet who spends her week herding the 8-10 year old girls to and from daily activities, the dining hall and places where they shouldn’t be.
“I return to camp each year because the campers always remind me what is important in life: to enjoy each and every moment of life, and that it's the small things that count. The campers have such inspiring attitudes and so much love to give; I can't imagine my year without them!”
As CR4TS 2012 comes barreling around the corner, Echo begins to plan her outfits for the camp theme days. She goes thrift store shopping, usually accompanied by fellow counselors, and sorts through her “camp boxes”, which are brimming with miscellaneous costumes, accessories, and arts & crafts worth of 4 years of various themes and dress up days. Going through past costumes and ideas helps with the creation of new ones, as well as the communal brainstorming session with co-counselors. Another helpful suggestion, using other staffer’s brilliant ideas as inspiration for your own; for Echo, Tuna and Bobea’s Lady Gaga ensemble and performance was her favorite from last year. “Their synchronized dance to go along with their costumes was fabulous and got the whole camp so excited!” My side still aches with the pain of all that laughter.
With 2 months and counting, Echo is “looking forward to seeing all the campers and how much they have grown, along with seeing counselors that I have fallen out of touch with throughout the year.” It really is one big, crazy, zany camp family! 
During the week, as she spends her time herding her flock, Echo enjoys paintball with her little sheep. Well…enjoys may not be the most appropriate word….
”My favorite camp activity is an oxymoron due to the fact that it is my favorite and my most dreaded: paintball. Trying to get the little girls to be excited about the long walk to the paintball field is always a challenge in itself, but watching them shoot their guns proudly makes it all worth it. The self-pride they have after hitting a target (especially if it is me or another counselor!!) is what makes this activity one of the best!” I most whole-heartedly agree with this statement and am still sporting scars from last year’s battle with this particular sport.
She also gets excited to sing Princess Pat, “even though hardly anyone knows all the words, including me! It is always a struggle to make it through the entire song, but the accompanying hand motions make it all worth it.”

And before we know it, the week has flown by and Saturday dawns into a beautiful memory. Though it is the end of Camp (until next year!), and the campers do have to get on those buses to leave, for many counselors this is a favorite day (really every day is a favorite) because we ourselves get Talk Time with Gordon and Lori. And Echo is no different.
 :)

My favorite camp memory is reading notes from campers at the end of the week who I am not sure had a great week at camp, and come to find out, that they had the best week of their life! And are planning to come back next year!!”

 “To enter reality after a week at camp is always quite the challenge. I usually spend as much time as I can with other counselors reminiscing about memories from the previous week. I tell everyone I know about how amazing my week away from "the real life" was and how they should join the CR4TS force next year! I also usually treat myself to a massage to help me recuperate from all the restless nights and activities the girls had me endure throughout the week!”
Camp Makes a Difference...

Comments